How Much Can a Ford Explorer Tow?
When properly equipped, the 2020 Ford Explorer is capable of towing up to 5,600 pounds through Stephenville – 600 pounds more than the previous 2019 model year! Whether you’re towing ATVs for an off-road adventure in Comanche or hauling work equipment to help a friend with a home improvement project, the new Ford Explorer towing capacity can handle it all. Browse your Ford Explorer engine options and find out how your choice will affect the towing capacity with Bayer Auto Group, below.
2020 Ford Explorer Towing Capacity by Engine
The answer to “how much can a Ford Explorer tow?” is largely dependent on which engine you opt for. For 2020, there are three Explorer engines available:
- 2.3L Turbocharged Ti-VCT EcoBoost® I-4: Even the base engine for the 2020 Explorer delivers serious power, with 300 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque. With this engine, you’ll be able to tow up to 5,300 pounds.
- 3.0L Twin-Turbocharged EcoBoost® V6: Thanks to twin-turbocharging, this V6 engine is capable of hitting a whopping 400 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque. The maximum towing capacity for this engine is 5,600 pounds.
- 3.3L Hybrid V6: That’s right – the 2020 Ford Explorer is available with a fuel-saving Hybrid engine! This powerful V6 reaches 365 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque, with a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 pounds.
Class III Trailer Tow Package
You can equip your 2020 Ford Explorer SUV with the Class III Trailer Tow Package to give it a little extra grit, enabling it to tow up to 5,600 pounds when paired with the 3.0L Twin-Turbocharged EcoBoost® V6 engine. Highlights for this package include:
- Class III frame-mounted hitch
- Trailer connectors
- Engine oil cooler
- Cargo management system
This trailering package includes all the equipment you need to tow through Abilene, plus a convenient cargo management system to optimize your storage space in the cabin.
Towing Safety Features
Known for building tough trucks and SUVs with plenty of muscle for heavy-duty hauling, Ford offers some of the most advanced towing safety features in the industry. With your 2020 Ford Explorer, you’ll navigate with a trailer in tow confidently, thanks to:
- All-New Rear-Wheel Drive: Ford’s all-new rear-wheel drive for the 2020 Explorer enables better handling on and off-road, and increases your towing abilities by 600 pounds.
- Towing and Trailer Sway Control: When you’re trailering through Granbury, this system applies the brakes and adjusts engine power as necessary to help maintain control.
- Terrain Management System™: This all-new, advanced system offers seven Selectable Drive Modes via an easy-to-use dial in your center console. Switch between normal, trail, deep snow/sand, slippery, sport, tow/haul, and a new eco mode when the conditions call for it.
Test Drive the 2020 Ford Explorer at Bayer Auto Group Today!
There’s more to love about the 2020 Ford Explorer! Contact Bayer Auto Group to arrange a test drive today, during which you can experience its serious engine power and see how you feel in its spacious, comfortable cabin. Be sure to browse our new Ford lease deals and check out the Ford warranty plans before your visit, and apply for financing online to get pre-approved.
More About Ford Model Features
Drivers in Comanche may have noticed that most of the newer Ford models use Ford remote access to start and turn off vehicles. Not only is Ford remote access convenient, but it offers additional safety when driving and locking your car. To learn how to use Ford remote start read our guide below, then see…
Depending on which configuration you choose, the 2019 Ford F-250 is capable of towing between 12,300 to 13,300 pounds. To reach 13,300 pounds, you’ll need to upgrade to the optional gooseneck trailer, or fifth wheel. In addition to the Ford F-250 towing capacity, the F-250 payload capacity is 4,250 pounds. With specs like that,…
When properly equipped, the 2020 Ford Explorer is capable of towing up to 5,600 pounds through Stephenville – 600 pounds more than the previous 2019 model year! Whether you’re towing ATVs for an off-road adventure in Comanche or hauling work equipment to help a friend with a home improvement project, the new Ford Explorer towing…